A service the Center for Teaching & Learning provides is guidance on developing your Canvas course. We all can benefit from another set of eyes reviewing the course design, structure, organization, and assessments/activities offered. While we do offer formal course evaluations using the Quality Matters standards, we understand that there are many instructors that are not ready for a formal course evaluation. Much like formative evaluation is a great strategy for our learners, this informal course review will help you strengthen your course(s) before a formal Quality Matters standards based review and help make learning more effecient for students.
Examples of some of the areas that will be reviewed:
- Learning Activities
- Objectives (if available)
- Opportunities for:
- Technology/Canvas Tools
Benefits of an informal course review:
- Personalized coaching to address any areas needing improvement
- Conducted asynchronously (unless you desire to meet afterwards to discuss)
- Video format allows for you to revist and correct issues on your own time
- Decreased student confusion and questions to you
- Increased student performance, interaction, and engagement
- Instructor will sign up for the informal course review through the Workshops & Events Page.
- CTL staff will contact instructor via Microsoft Teams.
- Instructor will add the course reviewer to their class as a "Teaching Assistant" or "Instructor".
- CTL staff will record (Studio) a tour of the instructor's course while narrating what is being observed.
- CTL staff will send the Studio video to the instructor for review.
- Follow up discussion can be scheduled via Microsoft Teams if the instructor would like more information or assistance.