The Center for Teaching & Learning offers faculty online course evaluations. Evaluations for online courses are completed by CTL faculty and staff. Mississippi State University is a member of Quality Matters and uses the Quality Matters Higher Ed Rubric standards for all online course evaluations.
Deadlines for Online Course Evaluation Requests:
Fall 2019 Deadline for Requests: September 15th
Spring 2020 Deadline for Requests: January 31st
Online Course Evaluation Requirements
- Course must have been taught online at least twice before a course evaluation can be performed.
- Course AND learning/module level objectives must be present before evaluations can be performed.
The course will be evaluated on the following eight standards:
1. Course Overview and Introduction
2. Learning Objectives (Competencies)
3. Assessment and Measurement
4. Instructional Materials
5. Learning Activities and Learner Interaction
6. Course Technology
7. Learner Support
8. Accessibility and Usability
- Email your request and a copy of the most recent course syllabus to email@example.com. Be sure to type “Online Course Evaluation” in the subject line.
- Register with Quality Matters. If you do not have a username and password, you will need to enter your email address and then select "No, I am new here". Click "Sign In" and follow the on-screen instructions. Be sure to use your @msstate.edu email address when registering. You will be asked to identify the university you are affiliated with during the registration process. Select Mississippi State University.
- The evaluator will send you a link to the Course Evaluation Worksheet to be completed.
- Evaluator will review the information provided in the Course Evaluation Worksheet and arrange a meeting (virtual or phone call with distance instructors) to discuss the evaluation process.
- The evaluator will work over a span of 2-6 weeks evaluating the course using the QM Rubric.
- Upon completion of the evaluation, a report with results and suggested improvements will be provided to the instructor. A meeting between evaluator and instructor to discuss the results is highly recommended.
- Course must have been taught online at least two times.
- Course evaluations use the QM rubric and are performed by a QM certified staff member with instructional design expertise.
- Evaluation is of the course itself and not the instructor. Evaluations are performed from the student perspective.
- Course to be evaluated should have been taught within the last academic year.
- Evaluator will need to be added to the course as an instructor and access to any publisher websites/materials will need to be provided.
- Course objectives and module/unit level objectives must be present before a course evaluation can be performed. If assistance is needed writing objectives, please contact the CTL and we will be glad to work with you.
- Evaluation results will be shared with the instructor only.
- Course evaluations can be informal (for your own development) or formal for a promotion/tenure review.
- Evaluations can take between 2-6 weeks to complete depending upon the number requested.